Tuesday, December 13, 2005

Constant Consciousness


Note: I use some of my blog entries to lay the groundwork for other things so that I can escape the constraints of linear blogging from time to time, as well as to provide myself a creative outlet and review mechanism.



Zataod had a recent blog entry on Tibetan Dream Yoga. That practice has yet to materialize for me, although it does rank quite high on the list of things I feel I must integrate into my Work.

My first lucid dream marked a transformational point in my life. For a number of months after that first one I managed to achieve a good 3-5 lucid dreams per week. But they have really dwindled over the past 5-6 years to only a couple a month, and sometimes not even that.

In the beginning, as I read more about lucid dreaming and other things, I realized that some Buddhists used it as a stepping stone to continuous awareness.

“Huh?”, I thought, “Is that really possible?”

Since I had nothing else urgent going on, besides the normal hectic, sometimes frantic, morning to night activities (and 2012 seemed years away), I figured I’d just give it a shot and see for myself if I could do it.

And so my journey started.

The Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep seemed to provide a nice fit because it involves practice through the three states of: waking, sleeping, and dreaming. So you have the whole 24 hour day covered.


I figured, “Good. Let’s get started! Could it be any easier?”

5 Comments:

At December 13, 2005, Blogger Topwomen said...

keep us informed!

 
At December 13, 2005, Blogger Matt said...

I really appreciate the fact that the Tibetan Yogas of Dream and Sleep has the whole day covered. I think the book does an amazing job of explaining karma in relation to waking life, and also dreaming life.

Recently, I attempted to increase the number of lucid dreams that I was having (back in September of 2005). I think I went wrong in not taking the wholistic approach advised by the Tibetans.

 
At December 18, 2005, Blogger J. Stull said...

Donna, if at any point during a dream, vivid or not, you realize that you are dreaming, then you are having a lucid dream. Usually we never ask that question, “Am I dreaming?” Even when we are engaged in the most ridiculous, far-fetched, and absurd activities imaginable during a dream, it usually doesn’t occur to us to ask that question.

Sounds simple huh?

 
At December 19, 2005, Anonymous Anonymous said...

I stumbled upon your blog as my name is also Jeff Stull and I like to keep tabs on the various jeff stulls running around. Anyway, I experience vivid dreams from time to time, but usually, once I realize I'm dreaming, I just try to screw whatever chicks happen to be there or beat the crap out of someone. I usually wake up once I become too aware. Is there something more productive I could be doing other than sex and violence?

 
At December 20, 2005, Blogger J. Stull said...

Hi Jeff Stull,
I've touched bases with 4 other Jeff Stulls over the past 10 years. One even had the same middle name as me (Louis).

I often have a problem sustaining dream lucidity after achieving it. I get so excited I immediately wake up. I find it especially annoying trying to have lucid dreaming sex, because I always wake up before I want to. One of my favorite dream signs that occurs every now and then, finds me in a meeting at work, and noticing a female dressed in panties and no top. Although in the waking state I would probably still say, "I must be dreaming", now it really does cue me in to that fact.

As far as your question, it sounds more like a question you should ask Jeff Stull, not Jeff Stull.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home