Sunday, November 13, 2005

Sensation to Thought

I have a number of observations on meditation that I hope to make, but I want to insert a more recent development before doing that.

Most of the meditation techniques I use involve keeping the body very, very still in order to observe and quiet my monkey mind.

For a number of years Mushtaq has suggested I try another approach that emphasizes body movement watching more than mind watching, but I don't think I really quite got it.

But, late last year I finally started some new exercises and things started to figure a little bit more.

Scott Sonnon's Body Flow helped clarify some things for me:






A lot happens between a sensation and a thought. Now I especially see how my body creates the thoughts I have, before I even know it has happened.

2 Comments:

At November 16, 2005, Blogger Matt said...

I think in the end mind watching and body watching are the same thing. But you need to find the route that works best for you in terms of slowing down your thoughts/body.

This process seems like it should be easy, but ends up being quite challenging.

 
At November 18, 2005, Blogger J. Stull said...

That could very well be true. However, my center of gravity is probably 6-7 levels below that right now. So, I find these little mini “a-ha!” experiences very….. well, I don’t exactly know what. Something useful though.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home