Sunday, December 04, 2005

Unlearning

One of the stories I have seen regarding learning as it relates to personal transformation in the various wisdom traditions depicts the teacher showing the student a glass filled to the brim:



The teacher implies that the student must empty the glass (unlearn) a little before progress can occur.

As an aging mammal I find myself having a lot of trouble in that area. I have some very deeply engrained behavior patterns.

So as a potential alternative, or at least a way to get a little more room to grow, what about trying to make the glass a little bigger?


It seems like even with a full glass I can accomplish horizontal learning (i.e. new technologies, facts and figures) but vertical learning (transformative shifts in perspective) requires much more attention, intention, and presence. i.e. a bigger glass?

3 Comments:

At December 04, 2005, Blogger Topwomen said...

I don't know about the larger glass, but emptying the glass in my experience refers to a zenlike "beginner's mind". We all, and yes the older we get, become ingrained in certain thought patterns and beliefs and tend to shut the door to alternatives. And it is a challenge, especially to our egos, to let go of those comfort zones in an effort to learn. It's also painful because, in my experience, you identify who you are with your beliefs. When you allow yourself to let go, you're painfully empty. It takes much effort to see that emptiness as a gift. (maybe that's the larger glass?)

 
At December 04, 2005, Blogger J. Stull said...

Hi RGMB. Thanks for the interesting observations. I think you hit on a number of the points that sort of “trouble” me with regard to the “emptying” part.

 
At December 06, 2005, Blogger Matt said...

And sometimes I'm not sure if it's even that important to actually empty the glass. The glass is always empty, but with liquid in it. If you can take a step back from the liquid and just see the glass, you can have the benefits of emptying the glass without having to dump out the contents.

The empty glass is always there.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home