Friday, July 22, 2005

10x Counts Introduction

I started this particular habit in Oct 1998 and have kept with it ever since. And I have questioned the value of doing it ever since. But I haven’t stopped.

The inability to keep my attention focused on the “one task that one must never forget” drove (drives) me nuts.

I could meditate in the morning and afterwards feel very focused. But, that session did not sustain it throughout the day.

I always fall back asleep during the day (and night, but I’ll leave that discussion for another time)

So I started working on a methodology to make me pause throughout the day, stop my mind, and return.

As always, I tend to use my breath as the anchor. So I decided I would try to take 10 breaths in complete present moment awareness.

I wanted to track two things:

1. The frequency of the exercise
2. The quality of each attempt

I’ve measured the quality in a number of different ways since 1998, but pretty much use the color-coded scale I've shown in the picture above.

2 Comments:

At July 25, 2005, Blogger J. Stull said...

Thanks Michael,
I hope to expand on these topics more as I go along. Good luck with your own investigations and discoveries!

 
At October 25, 2005, Blogger Matt said...

Jeff,

A very good idea. Definitely work putting the time and effort into. I've found that remembering to do something like this throughout the day is the most difficult thing one could ever attempt, but worth the effort.

 

Post a Comment

<< Home