Saturday, July 16, 2005

Cultivating Awareness


For me, the path towards having more lucid dreams meant learning how to overcome “the waking dream”. I spend more time asleep at the wheel during the day than I care to admit. Remaining “awake”. Learning how to remain awake.

If I do nothing else in this life, let me at least not sleep through the rest of it.

Kabir Helminski wrote something (A Rumi passage) in the introduction of his book Living Presence, that sums up this idea for me:



The Master said:
There is one thing in this world which must never be forgotten. If you were to forget everything else, but did not forget that, then there would be no cause to worry; whereas if you performed and remembered and did not forget every single thing, but forgot that one thing, then you would have done nothing whatsoever.

It is just as if a king had sent you to a country to carry out a specified task. You go and perform a hundred other tasks; but if you have not performed that particular task on account of which you had gone to the country, it is as though you have performed nothing at all.
So man has come into this world for a particular task, and that is his purpose; if he does not perform it, then he will have done nothing.

DISCOURSES OF RUMI (TRANSLATED BY A. J. ARBERRY)


So I continue to try and use as many tools as I can to help me try and fulfill that task:


3 Comments:

At July 22, 2005, Blogger Katherine Kean said...

Hi there, discovered your blog by way of Traceless Warrior. I am wondering...what is the purpose of sugar (the other tools I think I understand).

 
At July 22, 2005, Blogger J. Stull said...

Hi Katherine,
I started observing how sugar affected my energy levels and mood in ways that had remained “hidden” from me until then. Although I exercised fairly regularly, I didn’t pay attention to what my body kept telling me when I skipped breakfast, drank sugary drinks during the day, and ate other sweets. I just got tired and grouchy all the time.

So I consider “sugar awareness” my very first attempts at self-observation.

BTW, I just browsed through some of your artwork. Very nice. Luminous themes always seem to draw me in.

 
At July 23, 2005, Blogger Katherine Kean said...

Hi Jeff,

I see, that's a good tool. Thanks for the explanation. It's interesting, it seems like the brain likes sugar very much.

I'm glad you enjoyed the artwork!

 

Post a Comment

<< Home